[Opendnssec-user] Question about <ManualRollover/>
Jake Zack
2016-12-05 19:38:16 UTC
Should adding the <ManualRollover/> tag to both KSK and ZSK, then running "ods-ksmutil update kasp", change the "Date of next transition" as reported by "ods-ksmutil key list -verbose"?

Does ods-enforcer'd need to be kill -HUP'd to make this change take effect?

Am I right in understand that keys currently listed for rollover later in the month will in fact not be rolled over so long as the <ManualRollover/> tag is present?

Will the old rollover dates still be listed in the kasp database? Does this mean that upon removing <ManualRollover/> that enforcerd will immediately roll the keys?

Are there any other negative side effects to using ManualRollover temporarily?

Our use case:

New TLD coming online as a customer - currently signed
Need losing provider to publish and sign our DNSKEY's
ZSK DNSKEY is currently set to expire inside the DNS Operator transition window

Thanks all,
-jake
Yuri Schaeffer
2016-12-07 11:07:00 UTC
Hi Jake,
Post by Jake Zack
Should adding the <ManualRollover/> tag to both KSK and ZSK, then
running “ods-ksmutil update kasp”, change the “Date of next transition”
as reported by “ods-ksmutil key list –verbose”?
I'm not sure if it would change the date but it will hold of any
rollovers unless you specifically issue a 'key rollover' command.
Post by Jake Zack
Does ods-enforcer’d need to be kill –HUP’d to make this change take effect?
If all is well ods-ksmutil will do the enforcer HUP for you.
Post by Jake Zack
Am I right in understand that keys currently listed for rollover later
in the month will in fact not be rolled over so long as the
<ManualRollover/> tag is present?
Yes. Though it might be that the DNSKEY will still be introduced in the
zone. But these new keys will not be used for signing while the tag is
present.
Post by Jake Zack
Will the old rollover dates still be listed in the kasp database? Does
this mean that upon removing <ManualRollover/> that enforcerd will
immediately roll the keys?
Yes. It keeps track of the time the last key became active. The age of
the key will be
D_age = T_now - T_active
If D_age > D_lifetime (from KASP) and automatic rollover is used the
enforcer will initiate a rollover.
Post by Jake Zack
Are there any other negative side effects to using ManualRollover temporarily?
No. It should not affect the DNSSEC validity of your zone. The signer
will just keep refreshing signature. It should just work.
Post by Jake Zack
New TLD coming online as a customer – currently signed
Need losing provider to publish and sign our DNSKEY’s
ZSK DNSKEY is currently set to expire inside the DNS
Operator transition window
That should be entirely possible.

Best regards,
Yuri Schaeffer