[Opendnssec-user] Reset serial number
Magnus Olofsson
2016-11-24 14:37:10 UTC
Hello,

By accident we added one digit too much to our serial number and the serial number lost the date format. How can we reset the number in OpenDNSSEC and BIND?

Regards
Magnus Olofsson
Yuri Schaeffer
2016-11-24 15:51:31 UTC
Hi Magnus,
Post by Magnus Olofsson
By accident we added one digit too much to our serial number and the
serial number lost the date format. How can we reset the number in
OpenDNSSEC and BIND?
Serial numbers wrap around. In your input zone set the serial high (like
2^32-1) but make sure the increment does not exceed 2^31-1. Make sure
the change is picked up. Then wrap around and set the serial to the
value you want (again make sure the increment doesn't exceed 2^31-1).
OpenDNSSEC should pick up this change.

Regards,
Yuri
Randy Bush
2016-11-25 07:39:24 UTC
Post by Magnus Olofsson
By accident we added one digit too much to our serial number and the
serial number lost the date format. How can we reset the number in
OpenDNSSEC and BIND?
see RFC 1982 Serial Number Arithmetic

randy